6/1/08

Bringing Books To Life

Photobucket


Show me and I forget.
Teach me and I remember.
Involve me and I learn.

-Benjamin Franklin


Photobucket
This little guy and I were reading Aesop's Fables and came to the story of the crow who drops pebbles in the long-necked jar to get the water to the top so that he could drink. It was one of those rare times that we just went with the spontaneity of the moment and replicated the story in our kitchen. It led to a very enjoyable and memorable experience. He was involved, and he learned.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I like to think that he will always remember this afternoon. I like to think I will too. Watching him discover that he could make a book's "fantasy" his reality was wonderful. I hope it helps him to realize that just about anything is possible. If you can imagine it, you can find a way to see it through.

Photobucket
He got so excited as the water reached the top. You could tell he was so proud and so thrilled that he had solved the problem himself. He even took a little drink!

Note to self: Try to bring books to life more often. As these books get reread the experiences will be remembered.

4 comments:

j e s s i e said...

Hi Holly, I like that you left a comment on my blog because I love to look at your blog. I've told Ash before that I like to look at it because I think you take amazing pictures! I love where you live it's beautiful!... and I love tutus & turtles... and now I'm the the one leaving the random comments. =)

Holly said...

Thank-you! I like random comments.

Anonymous said...

I love this segment. It was delightful to read and see the expressions.
Thanks for sharing
Much love
Grandma

Ashley said...

What a cool idea. I love it! I'm totally going to try doing this sort of stuff.